Lambert St. Louis International Airport (STL)
History, Facts and Overview
(St Louis, Missouri - MO, USA)
Dating back to before the 1920s, St. Louis Airport was originally used as a small airfield, where balloons were launched and small aircraft tested and flown. The site was originally known as Kinloch Field and at this time the famous pilot Charles Lindbergh regularly piloted airmail planes here.
Civilian flights soon began and proved to be extremely popular, attracting many prominent airlines, such as Marquette and Robertson. In 1956, the airport opened its highly acclaimed modern terminal, which boasted four domes and was considered to be inspirational. By the 1970s and after much discussion about whether or not to relocate St. Louis Airport (STL), an ambitious expansion plan was undertaken, costing almost $300 million.
Passengers at St. Louis will be pleased to find a large range of onsite amenities, including numerous cashpoints, information kiosks, transport directories, shoeshine services, smoking booths and airline lounges. Also at the airport is an inter-faith chapel, book shops, souvenir stores and newsagents, while passengers in search of a bite to eat will be pleased to find plenty of eateries, bars and even an ice cream parlor.
A post office is located in Concourse D and is open daily between the hours of 08:30 and 16:30. St. Louis Airport is also home to the Book Mark Business Centre on the lower level of the Main Terminal, and a United Service Organizations (USO) centre, which is dedicated to military travelers and their families.